Key Benefits to Business Operations Planning
1. Are your sales increasing while profits are decreasing?
2. Would you like new ideas to enhance organizational performance and propel growth?
3. Are you interested in identifying inefficiencies in your organization?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, you may not be doing enough to unlock your company’s potential. No need to worry. An operational planning program can offer a multitude of benefits for manufacturers. In fact, the information gathered during a business planning process will help identify the areas where an investment of time, effort and money would generate greater returns. Let’s take a closer look at four benefits and what it takes to make them work:
• Offers Strategic Direction – A concrete operational plan helps management be proactive instead of reactive during a crisis or unexpected turn of events. Having an operational plan in place helps management swiftly make decisions when timing is critical. It promotes rational thinking instead of panic.
• Promotes a Healthy Business Model – Everyone on your team will know exactly what their role is within the organization. From handling quality issues to initiating sales calls—the operational plan will clearly outline your organization’s processes and who is the responsible party for implementing them.
• Manages Goals – Does your business have clearly defined goals? Are those goals SMART (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant and Time-Bound)? A carefully crafted operational plan can help track progress and milestones (both minor and major).
• Measures Success! – Reporting on the goals is critical. Without a plan in place, you won’t have any way to tell if your business is truly meeting its strategic goals. Whether it’s monthly or weekly, leadership must evaluate how the business is progressing against its operational plan. Don’t forget to communicate this vital information with all employees.
Workshops that Work
The Michigan Manufacturing Technology Center (The Center) has the expertise and the resources to help your business maximize efficiency and put you on the path to greater profitability. During our comprehensive Small Business Operations Planning or Leadership-In-Action workshops, our team of consultants will identify your organization’s strengths and weaknesses and produce a strategic plan—fostering a culture of innovation and improvement.
Both the size of your organization and the complexity of the project will determine which workshop is ideal for you. The integrated format enables participants to effectively develop specific goals, detailed plans to meet these goals and an action item list with metrics to measure performance.
Business Operations Planning is the Key to Success
Contact me today at GSingos@the-center.org for more information.
MEET OUR EXPERT
Business Leader Advisor
Since 1991, the Michigan Manufacturing Technology Center has assisted Michigan’s small and medium-sized businesses to successfully compete and grow. Through personalized services designed to meet the needs of clients, we develop more effective business leaders, drive product and process innovation, promote company-wide operational excellence and foster creative strategies for business growth and greater profitability. Find us at www.the-center.org.