By: Tricia Onesian
Whether you prefer a burger grilled to perfection or a tasty summer salad loaded with sun-ripened berries, there’s no shortage of delicious summer fare at your favorite restaurants. I’m always reminded that the overall experience is far more satisfying when a restaurant serves up delicious food and excellent service. (I consider this a recipe for success!)
What can manufacturers learn from the restaurant industry about a positive customer experience? PLENTY! Taking great care of your customers is important for every industry. According to Lee Resources, 91% of unhappy customers will not willingly do business with you again.
Strive to give your customers the best possible service
I’ve discovered the five key ingredients that will help your customers become repeat customers.
For best results, mix all of the ingredients together equally—and don’t forget my personal
1. Give a Little Extra – Go the extra mile for your customer. Send a thank you gift or give your customer a call just to say hello. Your customers will remember and appreciate a kind gesture. After all, 95% of consumers share bad experiences with other people (Zendesk). Be sure to give them a positive one!
2. Create an Inviting Atmosphere – We tend to only use the fancy silverware when we have guests, right? If your customers are touring your new, state-of-the-art facility or joining you for lunch, don’t just treat your customers as customers—treat them like family. And, make them feel like they are your only customer by giving them the time and attention they deserve.
3. Be Accommodating – Can you imagine if restaurants served dinner for only one hour or charged you for a little more salad dressing? Neither can I. Re-arrange schedules when necessary. Make a concerted effort to be understanding when things don’t go exactly as planned. Do what it takes to make the customer feel like you’re meeting their needs.
4. Become the Expert – Be a trusted advisor and the person your customers can always count on. Brush up on your skills and know your products inside and out. Think of it like this—once you’ve found the perfect burger, why would you go anywhere else? Your customers will rely on your wisdom instead of a competitor’s.
5. Serve It Up With a Smile – No one wants to deal with a grumpy server. The same is true for your customers. Be positive, helpful and always smile when you speak!
In a world where customer service is often lacking, give your customers more than they expect.
Whether it’s a second helping of food or amazing service, you’re bound to get repeat (and satisfied) customers.
MEET OUR EXPERT
Inside Sales Representative
To read Tricia’s full bio, click here
Since 1991, the Michigan Manufacturing Technology Center has assisted Michigan’s small and medium-sized businesses to successfully compete and grow. Through personalized services designed to meet the needs of clients, we develop more effective business leaders, drive product and process innovation, promote company-wide operational excellence and foster creative strategies for business growth and greater profitability. Find us at www.the-center.org.