Staying in Touch With Clients
Email Marketing Tips for Manufacturers
Email marketing is a great way to reach your clients without spending a lot of money. Email marketing software also gets you past the spam folder into the inbox. But it’s a big responsibility, too—people don’t give their email addresses to just anyone. Thinking about starting a company newsletter or reaching out to clients on a more frequent basis? Here are some tips to keep in mind.
- Make it easy to subscribe. Post a signup form on your website, blog, Facebook page, and wherever else your clients are currently active and engaged. You will want to require first name, last name, company and email address upon submission. Requiring additional fields may discourage subscribers from completing the form.
- Choose a mobile-friendly design. Today, nearly half of all emails are opened with some form of mobile device. Choosing a layout that shows up well on a mobile device will perform better, with more opens, clicks and forwards.
- Organize your databases. By setting up a cohesive and detailed database of contacts, targeted emails can be sent based on industry, location and title. Clients will receive relevant, personalized information based on their specific situation.
- Keep in touch with clients. Email-generated newsletters featuring products, upcoming events, special deals, and industry news can be instrumental in keeping in touch with your customer base. Email marketing software has pre-existing templates which you can modify to share your own specific information-which hopefully will be forwarded on to others. Set a schedule in Outlook or some other database to make sure not too much time lapses between communications.
- Know your spam rules. Innocent people send spam because they don’t know any better. Read up on the CAN-SPAM act to avoid any trouble. Put simply, you’re allowed to send bulk email only to people who specifically asked to be on your mailing list. Most email marketing software products include an obvious unsubscribe link in every email-BUT if you are sending bulk email from your own Outlook account, you must give them instruction on how to be removed from the list.
Email, in combination with a strong website and customer experience, forms a stable foundation for digital marketing. Email's ability to deliver targeted and exclusive content continues to make it a sound investment of your brand's marketing time and money to reach your customers where they anticipate hearing from you most. Have questions about digital outreach or want to grow your client base? Contact the Michigan Manufacturing Technology Center at 888.414.6682 and speak to one of our Business Growth Experts.
Since 1991, the Michigan Manufacturing Technology Center has assisted Michigan’s small and medium-sized businesses successfully compete and grow. Through personalized services fitted to meet the needs of clients, we develop more effective business leaders, drive product and process innovation, promote company-wide operational excellence and foster creative strategies for business growth and greater profitability. Find us at on the web at www.mmtc.org.