Have you noticed that Michigan manufacturing has been in the news? U.S. Commerce Secretary Penny Pritzker recently named Southeast Michigan as one of the nation’s top “manufacturing communities.” The region will receive assistance to attract global organizations into the area. And just this week, Industry Week named Michigan in its list of the Top 10 U.S. Manufacturing Hubs. From local publications to the national stage, a spotlight is being shone on the Michigan comeback.
Not to boast, but these types of recognitions don’t come as a shock to us…we’re the leaders of American manufacturing. But as U.S. manufacturing continues to improve and grow, it’s great to see that the world is learning the benefits of working with Michigan such as:
- Convenient Location: We’re considered to be a
part of the Great Lakes Region, American Midwest and sometimes the Rust
Belt. Our prime location and strong network of transportation enables us
to easily partner with businesses all around the U.S. and Canada, our top
exporting partner. Bridges, railways and airports make us a trading
- Robust Workforce: Michigan is home to one of
the most talented and skilled workforces in the country. This is because
of our strong cultural connection to manufacturing…we live, breathe and
eat the industry!
- Diversity in Suppliers: From automobiles and delicious cherries to aerospace components and furniture, Michigan’s companies manufacture it all. Our diverse range of companies makes Michigan an optimal supply chain destination.
Above all else, Michigan will continue its comeback because of our commitment to growth. We don’t accept the status quo here – we’re always looking to become more innovative. Now that we’ve passed the Fourth of July and hit the second half of the year, it’s a good time to evaluate our companies for growth opportunities. Consider the following three areas:
1) Marketing: Increasing sales and expanding into new markets should always be a high priority. When was the last time you updated your website? Have you explored using social media for your company yet? Leveraging technology in your favor can help your business generate new leads and boost revenue. (Click here to learn more about MMTC’s website effectiveness services.)
2) Exporting: 95% of the world’s customers live outside the U.S. If you’re not exporting, you may be missing out on a lot of potential for growth. Consider embracing exporting as a viable business opportunity.
3) New Product / Part Developments: Diversifying your customer base can help your company become more profitable. Gain a competitive advantage by introducing new products or parts into the market.
We’re confident that there will be many more stories about Michigan manufacturing in the news. With a dedication to growth and the benefits that Michigan has to offer, we will continue to lead the way!
For more information about MMTC’s business development and growth services, click here or call 888-414-6682.
Since 1991, MMTC has assisted Michigan’s small and medium-sized businesses compete and grow. Through personalized services fitted to meet the needs of clients, we develop more effective business leaders, drive product and process innovation, promote company-wide operational excellence and foster creative strategies for business growth and greater profitability. Find us at www.mmtc.org.